Monday, June 7, 2010

Waffles


Sunday morning in our house is pancake day, but this weekend I thought I would mix it up with... waffles!

I received a waffle maker years ago and used it once. Using the recipe that came with the instructions, they failed miserably. What I thought would be fluffy, crispy waffles turned out as flat, rubbery discs.

I came across a recipe on karencheng.com.au which claimed to be the perfect waffle recipe, so I gave it a go. The recipe produced a lovely tasting waffle, which was fluffy in the centre with a crisp exterior.

I served them with a creamy vanilla bean ice cream, strawberries and maple syrup.

Waffles
1 egg separated
¼ cup castor sugar
1 cup of milk
¼ cup of water
1 ½ cups of self raising flour
pinch of salt
60g butter, melted


Using a hand mixer, beat egg white until soft peaks. Gradually add half the sugar until you get stiff peaks. Keep aside.

Beat egg yolk (with remaining half of sugar) until creamy. Then beat in milk and water, followed by the sifted dry ingredients.

Mix in melted butter, and then fold in the egg white.

Place batter into your waffle maker (amount will depend on your waffle maker)
Serve hot with your choice of topping – ice cream, banana, strawberries, cream, topping, yoghurt.

Notes: This recipe made enough for 2 (hungry) adults. The waffles stated to go a bit soggy upon standing; I put them under the griller for a moment to crisp back up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment