Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Slice


Hi All,

I love trying to re-create something delicious that I have bought, in particular, a certain peppermint slice.

My love for a good peppermint slice came from the drive from Canberra to Sydney. Every time I made this journey I would stop at the Sutton Forrest McDonalds and have a chicken burger and a piece (or 2..or 3) of their deeee-licious peppermint slice (seriously, this stuff is good!).

I don't make the journey to Sydney all that often anymore (I know, I can get it at any old McCafe, but there was something special about only getting from a McDonalds in the middle of nowhere), so I decided it was about time that I try to make it.

Now, this special peppermint slice was different to others. Most of them I have seen have a boring biscuit base. Macca's base was a rich chocolate coconutty base (reminiscent of mum's chocolate coconut slice), the peppermint middle had the perfect amount of peppermint and the chocolate topping was a smooth, creamy ganache. YUM.

So once again, I played Frankenstein and came up with this little number. I hope you enjoy!


Chocolate Peppermint Slice
Chocolate Base

1 ½ cups self raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup coconut
½ cup brown sugar
125g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg


Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter a 16cm x 26cm x 3cm slice tray (or close to those dimensions).

Combine flour, cocoa, coconut and brown sugar in a bowl, stir in melted butter and egg and mix until well combined. Press mixture into slice tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until starting to brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly.

Peppermint Crème Filling
3 cups icing sugar (sifted)
1/3 cup cream (you may need more or less to get a desired spreadable consistancy)
40g melted butter (or you could use Copha)
1 1/2 tsp peppermint essence (or to your taste)


Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and spread a layer over the cooled chocolate base. Refrigerate until firm (about 30 minutes to 1 hour).


Chocolate Glaze
150g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
100ml pouring cream
20g unsalted butter, softened


Combine chocolate, butter and cream in a small bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the mixture is smooth. Spread over cooled peppermint filling and refrigerate immediately until set.

Once slice is fully set, cut into bit-size squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment